Soup Group: Vegetarian
Competing Against: Caribbean Black Bean
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40-50 minutes
- Butternut Squash, cubed - 4 cup(s)
- Carrots, chopped in 1 inch pieces - 2 cup(s)
- Sweet Potato, cubed - 1 cup(s)
- Onion, large dice - 1 cup(s)
- Celery, chopped in 1 inch pieces - 1/2 cup(s)
- Garlic, cloves cut in half - 4 tbsp
- Vegetable Base (Boullion) - 2 tbsp
- Sage, ground - 1 tbsp
- Basil, dried - 1/2 tbsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tbsp
- Rosemary, dried and crushed - 1/2 tbsp
- Ginger, ground - 1 tbsp
- Sriracha Sauce - 1/2 tbsp
- Pepper, fresh ground - 1 tsp
- Sea Salt - 1 tsp
- Black Beans, cooked and drained - 2 cup(s)
- Coconut Milk - 14 oz(s)
Simple, wholesome, and delicious. This soup is everything we need and want.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Place all ingredients, except the black beans into a 4 quart covered stoneware casserole.
Add just enough water to cover the vegetables.
Roast for 40-50 minutes, covered.
Remove dish from the oven.
Add black beans and coconut milk.
Blend with an immersion hand blender until smooth.
Serve with a slice of your favorite homemade bread, or with a side salad!
My fiancÃ© Ben is an expert taste-tester and my main motivator in the kitchen. He is an incredibly hard worker, specializing in restoring and milling antique lumber. He works long days and comes home in the evening positively ravenous! I started making this soup when the Maine weather turned cold in December. I've made all sorts of soups in the past, but this has become my go-to recipe. I make it for us every Monday for dinner, and it makes great lunch leftovers for us for the next few days. There is nothing better than seeing the smile on his face when he takes the first bite of this soup!
My goals in the kitchen are to keep us healthy, satisfied, and under budget (we're in our early 20's!). This soup accomplishes all three goals!
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Posted February 13th, 20136