Welcome to the Soup Challenge Community

We are a team of foodies interested in and focused on cooking great tasting, good for you, simple meals. We look forward to sharing our soup stories, cooking techniques, Soup Challenge recipes, and more.

We hope our community inspires you to enter the Soup Challenge, join in on the conversation with other food—and soup—lovers, and, of course, enjoy some New England Country Soup!

Southeast Soup Challenge III Entries

Here we will share all of the excellent Soup Challenge entries with you – not only are they great recipes, but each one has personal meaning for the home cooks who are competing. Every recipe will be profiled and today we’re highlighting several entries from contestants in the Southeast. We hope you enjoy learning more about these soups and remember to head over to the website and VOTE every day for your favorite!

Southern Coastal Clam And Shrimp Chowder
By: Susan
Region: Southeast
Soup Group: Cream-Based

I am from the South and live on Floria’s Emerald Coast in the Panhandle. My family loves to eat fresh Gulf Seafood. As a child I traveled to San Francisco as my father was a military officer, and I and fell in love with clam chowder. We recently too…
Read More >

Mami’s Soup
By: Nicholas
Soup Group: Vegetarian

My mother-in-law prepared this soup whenever we felt under the weather. She would take whatever she could find the vegetable bin and “voila” Mami’s soup. She was French and would come over for the holidays during the winter. Alas, she is no longe…
Read More >

Southern Steak Tuscany Soup
By: Rebecca

A quiche recipe I made up a few years ago inspired this recipe! I love all the flavors!!
Read More >

Wonton Meatball Soup
By: Josee
Soup Group: Meat Protein

I love Chinese food and my husband loves Italian food. So with both of us in mind I took my favorite soup the wonton soup and his favorite soup Italian meatball soup and combined the flavors of both soup together and created the most delicious soup …
Read More >

Creamy Italian Roasted Pepper Soup
By: Debbie

This is a thick, creamy and hearty soup with a delicious combination of flavors. It is a snap to put together and have on your dinner table quickly at the end of a busy day.
Read More >

Chicken Gnocchi Soup
By: Cheryl

I fell in love with gnocchi on a trip to Italy. It was served so many ways with so many sauces. It was always comforting and creamy. I wanted to use gnocchi in a soup so I created Chicken Gnocchi Soup. It is hearty, warm and takes me back to a …
Read More >

Tuscan Bean Minestrone Soup With Basil Parsley Pesto Swirl
By: Lorraine

My family tradition lives on with this quick in an hour Italian vegetable soup. Memories of a big pot of soup simmering in our home kitchen has inspired this flavorful Minestrone soup with a swirl of easy homemade pesto. Minestrone means BIG SOUP in…
Read More >

I had to bring the heat to compete with Yankee White Bean Soup so I created a Thai inspired “bean sprout” version. I love the boldness of Thai flavors and paired with the sweetness of the coconut milk, this is a winner! Lots of textures and fresh f…
Read More >

Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup

As a working mother of two it is essential to have quick and easy go to recipes that I know will be delicious and satisfying enough for hungry teenagers. I like to do this recipe with store bought plain rotisserie style chicken to speed things up.
Read More >

Angelica’s Crab Soup
By: Angelica

I have a sweet little old lady living next door who I used to work with as well and she is my inspiration for this recipe. She loves seafood and crab especially, being we live on the coast it’s easy to find fresh crab meat and after some work picking…
Read More >

Smokey Corn And Sausage Cowder
By: Heather

When I was home with my new born daughter in the middle of a New England Winter wanted something warming with a little twist.
Read More >

By: Natalie

I cook out of love and never use recipes so writing this down was a challenge for me! I grew up with an Italian grandmother and a southern grandmother…both inspiring. I learned to cook by watching and tasting, never a recipe. I love making one dish…
Read More >

Opapo Corn Chowder
By: Marge

Growing up on a farm my mom made this very often as we had canned corn and lots of potatoes on hand. You can add ham cubes if you like.
Read More >

By: Eileen

Soup is my favorite thing to eat at lunchtime! This recipe was created when I was trying to figure out what to do with leftover canned pumpkin from the holidays. The addition of popcorn gives it a fun twist, and is a great crunchy contrast to the sm…
Read More >

By: Debra

My daughter had cancer when she was 11 years old (Ewing’s Sarcoma PpNet). When we would come home after a round of chemo, she would want her favorite soup-Greek Lemon Soup- and we would go out to eat it together. After a while, I learned how to mak…

Read More >

Northern Bean With A Spanish Flair
By: Terri

Living in Tampa, Fl most of my life I have eaten most of the favorite Cuban/Spanish foods in the area. My first tasting of Collard Green soup left me wanting to create my own version. I have tasted this soup at a number of places, and came home feeli…
Read More >

By: Lori

I love the spiciness of great Mexican dishes AND I especially love comforting soups. I wanted to make a more transparent soup that had a rich brothiness and lets you see the tasty ingredients of the soup. I was inspired by green chile pork stew …
Read More >

By: Jonathan

Sitting in our campsite we were eating raw oysters, fishing, listening to music, and relaxing next to the bay. The night before we enjoyed a feast on a traditional low country boil fireside as well as bayside listening to the waves hit the breakers. …
Read More >

By: Peggy

My mom made this for us when we were small, perfect winter meal!

Read More > 

Cream Of Watercress With Grilled Shrimp
By: Andre
Region: Southeast
Soup Group: Cream-Based

I love this soup. It’s easy, elegant, you can make it for a fancy dinner or a weeknight main course with a salad and crusty bread. Watercress is not always available, but it’s worth the wait for its distinctive bite and unique flavor.

Read More >

Comfortly Southern Turnip Green With Ham Soup
By: Angela
Region: Southeast
Soup Group: Meat Protein

I love to revamp leftovers and give them new life. One cold day I had leftover turnip greens and white northern beans. I stood at the refrigerator, hands on hips wondering what I could do with these two items. Previously I had eaten a turnip green ba…

Read More >

Midwest Soup Challenge III Entries

Here we will share all of the excellent Soup Challenge entries with you – not only are they great recipes, but each one has personal meaning for the home cooks who are competing. Every recipe will be profiled and today we’re highlighting several entries from contestants in the Midwest. We hope you enjoy learning more about these soups and remember to head over to the website and VOTE every day for your favorite!

Not So Drunk Borracho Bean Soup
By: Barbara
Region: Midwest

I am a big fan of Mexican food and usually order Borracho Bean soup with my dinner. Being that my favorite Mexican food restaurant is 800 miles from where I live, I have learned to make my own. I don’t always have beer on hand and found that it is no…
Read More >

By: Weston

This recipes a nod to all of the amazing Taquería’s (taco stands) you find in the summer around Chicago. Being a Vegetarian, I would order a taco with beans instead of meat. There was always this burst of flavor that came with the taco…
Read More >

By: Suellen

My husband and I lived overseas doing humanitarian aid work and were surrounded by local farmers and fishermen. With these, we only made and served what was available at the time. Since arriving back to the U.S. I have tried to create recipes that…
Read More >

Roasted Red Potato Soup
By: Michelle
Read More >

By: Dianna

Being a girl born & raised in the Midwest, there is nothing more satisfying that using veggies straight from my garden! My garden is the inspiration behind this soup! Just picked, ripe & juicy tomatoes are the base for this soup…
Read More >

By: Elizabeth

This soup came to be on a very cold winter day. Warm and satisfying with lots of healthy ingredients, it is also surprisingly easy and inexpensive to make. The roasting step adds a lot of flavor without adding much time and this recipe can easily…
Read More >

By: Katherine

This is a family recipe that my father taught me. Every year on the day after Thanksgiving he takes the leftovers and turns it into soup. I love this soup so much that I made it several times a year. It is hearty, healthy, and full of vegetables.
Read More >

By: Amy

One of my dad’s favorite soups is broccoli and cheese, but the complaint has always been that any time he orders it when eating out it’s a cheese soup with a few pieces of broccoli thrown in. This soup makes Broccoli the star of the show, with…
Read More >
Sage And Squash Bisque With Ricotta Ravioli

By: Eugenia
Region: Midwest
Soup Group: Vegetarian

I fell in love with fresh squash ravioli in browned sage butter when my best friend served it to me one evening on a ‘girl’s night’. After that I’ve been exploring other ways of taking these wonderful flavors and finding unexpected ways to serve the…

Read More >

Northeast Soup Challenge III Entries

Here we will share all of the excellent Soup Challenge entries with you – not only are they great recipes, but each one has personal meaning for the home cooks who are competing. Every recipe will be profiled and today we’re highlighting several entries from contestants in the Northeast. We hope you enjoy learning more about these soups and remember to head over to the website and VOTE every day for your favorite!

Roasted Vegetable
By: Meagan
Region: Northeast

My fiancé Ben is an expert taste-tester and my main motivator in the kitchen. He is an incredibly hard worker, specializing in restoring and milling antique lumber. He works long days and comes home in the evening positively ravenous! I started…
Read More >

Chicken & Sweet Potato Soup
By: Bob

This soup is a great summer time soup. It is very refreshing and fills you up completely. I have always made this soup for friends and family during Cinco De Mayo as well as on the 4th of July. The inspiration for this soup actually came out of combi…
Read More >

Black Bean Chili
By: Heather

We love chili in our house but using ground beef adds a lot of additional fat and calories. I set off to make a vegetarian chili that tastes good and is lower in both fat and calories. I decided to use black beans because the texture of them helps …
Read More >

Northeast Crabby Corn Chowder
By: Danielle

My boyfriend is originally from Maine and this year, he took me crabbing for the first time. We came home with a bounty of them. We quickly turned them into corn and crab cakes and fried them up on the back porch of his family’s home. For our ann…
Read More >

Wild Mushroom Soup
By: Thomas

i love mushroom sou[ but not the creamy kuns . the beef broth and tomatoes are my kind of soup

Read More >

Spicy Tomato Basil

By: Thomas

It beats canned tomato soup any day, and has a nice kick

Read More >

Mac & Cheese Soup
By: Tina

Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees F. Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until tender; drain. Mist a baking sheet with cooking spray or olive oil and arrange the tomato…
Read More >

Buffalo Chicken & Orzo Soup
By: Erica

My husband and I love buffalo sauce and we are always coming up with new ways to use it! This is a nice, hearty soup that is easy and inexpensive to make and tastes fantastic.
Read More >

Funky Corny Chicken Chowder
By: Monica
Region: Northeast

Marinate chicken in lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside. In soup pot, sauté yellow and green onions in olive oil over medium-high heat until soft, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté an additional minute. Add celery, bell…
Read More >

Lentil Soup
By: Kim

I used to cook at a residential camp for delinquent boys. I had alot of vegetarians that worked there. Whenever i would make a beed stew i made this as the vegetarian option. It was so good that many of the staff opted to become vegetarians for the d…
Read More >

Muscular Manhattan Chowder
By: Joan

When in Boston, rival Manhattan Chowder needs to flex its muscles. Here’s a non-cream chowder that will give the hometown a run for its money, replacing the clams with mussels.
Read More >

Karens Chicken Escarole Soup
By: Karen

This recipe is definitely a family favorite across the board. When I know a family member is a little under the weather, this is my go to recipe. It’s also very soothing on a wintery day in New England. The freshness of the vegetable and th…
Read More >

Clam Chowder
By: Heather

When I got married my next door neighbor, whom I had lived next to since I was 6, gave me a book filled with her favorite soup recipes. She also gave me a large stock pot to make the soups in. I had never made clam chowder before but I knew my husb…
Read More >

Curried Broccoli Bisque

Not a bit of starch in this soup (I’m not sure that’s exactly true chemically), but you feel like you’ve had something to eat when finished. George H. may have hated the soup, but my friends and family don’t. Like many of my soups, I can see it hot, …
Read More >

Couscous Tabbouleh Soup

This is basically my take on tabbouleh made into a soup. The idea is to retain the freshness of that salad along with providing a hearty soup component, as well as a Near Eastern element with the couscous. I prefer it best at room temperature.
Read More >

Quickey Clam Chowder
By: Pam

Camping favorite.
Read More >

Moroccan Lentil Soup
By: Pamela

I started making this soup when we lived in Canada. I am not sure where the recipe came from.
Read More >

Tortellini Vegetable Soup
By: Deborah

I needed a quick dinner after a day of baseball..Checked out the freezer and this is what I came up with. Add garlic bread and dinner is on the table in less then 30 minutes!!!
Read More >

By: JoAnne

I love trying new healthy ideas and soup is my favorite thing to make. I added all my favorite vegetables and spices and came up with this. Enjoy its really yummy.
Read More >

By: Joanna

I have diabeties and cardiac issues, so I have learned different methods of making foods that have nice flavors and additional health benefits. Tumeric lowers blood sugar, cinnamon lowers blood sugar and cholesterol, garlic is good for your heart, cu…
Read More >

Curried Lentil Squash Soup With Sweet Golden Raisins
By: MacKenzie

After recently delivering my second child I found myself in need of 2 things. First of all sleep, but I didn’t get much say in that and second of all healthy filling meals that would help me shed my stubborn pregnancy weight. Lentils are som…
Read More >

By: Diane

My parents are from two different cultures, mom polish and dad Italian. The children were raised on the Italian side, and my mom became the best Italian cook ever. The funny story is, mom could never say Pasta Fagioli, and called it Pasta Fazoo Soup…
Read More >

By: Robin

I love surprising my family- standing at the stove adding a colorful variety of ingredients while the look on in wonder- “what is that going to taste like??” And then when it’s finally served- DELICIOUS! I love playing with the intense flavor of gi…
Read More >

By: Robin

I love finding warm & hearty soup recipes that have a different blend of ingredients. I also love finding creamy soups that surprise any non-vegan! This soup is a mix of both, creamy and delicious but with wonderful fragrance from spices and taste!
Read More >

By: Eilleen

I always love trying new soup recipes. This recipe included so many healthy ingrediants I had to try it. I have 2 teenage boys who complimented this soup so I knew right then it was a keeper. The best reviewers that I can count on is my church family…
Read More >

Creamy Wild Rice And Mushroom Soup
By: Karen

I made this soup one time after having caught the flu, when I seemed to have lost my appetite after taking so much medication. As soon as I had some appetite for food and enough strength to get out of the bed, I made myself some warm and hearty soup…
Read More >

Maryann’s Home Cooked Chicken Noodle Soup
By: Maryann

This is my grandmothers recipe for colds.

Read More >

By: Nancy

I started making this soup several years ago, on a cold rainy day while vacationing at Lake Sunapee, NH. It hit the spot and warmed us all up.
Read More >

By: Thomas

I often have bits and bobs of foods in my fridge and an assortment of half used or never going to be used canned and frozen vegetables and sauces in my pantry and freezer. This constitutes all I had in my house one Easter Sunday when I missed my c…
Read More >

By: Nick

My 6 year old son and I came up with this recipe, which is a variation of Harira. He likes sweet potatoes and loves sausage, so that was his input.
Read More >

By: Michael

My family emigrated to the U.S. from the Naples, Italy area. Growing up we always had simple, wholesome foods that were made with the freshest ingredients available. This dish pays homage to the hearty peasant foods made with the ingredients availabl…
Read More >

Roasted Vegetable- Chicken African Soup
By: Sherry

Recently had “African Peanut Soup” in a restaurant and tried to re-create at home.Thought that roasting the vegetables,along with a whole head of garlic gave this slightly spicy soup a nice sweet depth of flavor.
Read More >

By: Dana

Mushroom, roasted garlic, and feta cheese…. need I say more?! These are some of my favorite flavors, and combining them in one delicious soup was pure genius – if I do say so myself.
Read More >

By: Sharon

My goal in creating this soup was to come up with an egg soup that also includes veggies and grains so that it could be served as a meal in itself. This hearty soup is so easy to make that it can be a served for a week-night dinner but it is also e…
Read More >

By: Chantal

Over the past few years my family has needed to change their diets due for their health. I myself need to reduce salt where I can and my mom has celiac disease. Others need to watch their sugar intake or have allergies to shellfish or lactose. When c…
Read More >

By: Ronna

My husband and I love the New England Country Soup Chicken Pomodoro flavor. I decided to enter a soup in this contest comparable to it but adding my own ingredients, especially the brown rice. The result is such a delicious, nutritious new soup! I wa…
Read More >

By: Jasmin

I recently spent a week in Germany where I tried an amazing potato soup (loaded with cream, several kinds of smoked meats and definitely packed with flavor). Returning home, I was inspired to try to replicate it in the kitchen, but a healthier versio…
Read More >

By: Susan

My father-in-law makes the BEST baked ham. This is a recipe I developed to use up some of his leftover ham (and drippings). Every Christmas and Easter, the whole family is lucky enough to enjoy this holiday treat…. and, if there are leftovers, I’…
Read More >

Mushroom Brie Bisque
By: Laura

This is my favorite soup that a local eatery who is only open for summer months offers. It’s such a delicious soup to enjoy in the winter, I had to find a way to make it myself at home. This is what I’ve come up with, after a few trial and error batc…
Read More >

By: Laura

I’m a Maryland gal, born and bred – and nothing says Maryland more than crab soup. I make two versions, a spicy red tomato based broth – and also this deliciously creamy rendition. No matter which I choose, they always make me reflect on how much I l…
Read More >

Martha’s Vineyard – A Magical Vacation Destination

Martha’s Vineyard is a beautiful destination at any time of year, but especially magical in early autumn. The island has been in full swing for a summer season. The restaurants and shops have all been bustling for months and remain open, though a calm comes over the Vineyard when major tourist season has come and gone, once again.

Our three winners last year all raved about the weather, accommodations, and restaurants. The Hob Knob luxury boutique hotel was deemed “absolutely wonderful”, especially the elegant rooms and friendly staff. Our winners loved the delicious breakfasts at the Hob Knob and daily afternoon tea. They gathered round a cozy fire in the evenings to enjoy cocktails before heading out to dinner at two of the best restaurants on the island.
Alchemy in Edgartown is a French-style bistro that features local ingredients, especially fresh seafood. Also in Edgartown, l’etoile is located in a restored historic whaling captain’s house with a seasonal menu.  The atmosphere is elegant, with a garden terrace for outdoor dining and bustling bar. They too source many of their ingredients from local growers like the Morning Glory Farm just up the road.

Our Soup Challenge winners all had a lovely time and highly recommend it as a vacation destination to anyone. Even better if you can take that trip for free! Three new winners will have their chance at culinary glory and partake in a special New England adventure this fall.

Soup Challenge Voting

Dear Fans of the Soup Challenge,

Thank you for your enthusiasm! This year’s Soup Challenge™ is roaring … and with less than 18 days left, we are expecting a rousing finish!

We have a problem about which we want to make you aware. The issue is the manner in which folks are voting. We are addressing this with a refinement to the Official Rules (see below).

A fundamental tenet of our Soup Challenge has, and always will be, “this needs to be ‘a fair fight’”.  To be worth your time, energy and talent, this competition needs to be fair between entrants, equal in presentation of the recipes on the Soup Challenge website, and an equal voting opportunity for each recipe. And that’s where we think we have a problem.

We have had a couple of instances where we believe, what we are calling, “robo-voting” has occurred, i.e. votes are being placed from multiple inauthentic e-mail addresses (URL’s) from the same computer using the same “IP” address, within minutes of each other.

The intent of the current Official Rules governing the Soup Challenge is clear: “Everyone may vote every day, though only once per day … Online voters will need to register their email address.”

We have revised the Official Rules as follows (we have highlighted the changes in bold to make it easier to follow):

Voting

• Voting will be active from November 1, 2012 through February 17, 2013 (11:59 PM EST).
  • Everyone may vote every day, though only once per day, either by U.S. Postal Service or at www.soupchallenge.com
  • Online voters will need to register their email address the first time they vote. The registration form requires a single, valid email address, first name, and zip code. Only one valid email address per voter is allowed. The validity of each voter’s single email address is subject to verification. Use of any device to automate the entry process is prohibited, including but not limited to, the use of any robotic, macro, automatic, programmed or like voting methods. Use of any such device will void all such votes in support of any entrant. Voters will also have the option to sign up for emails from Sponsor. (emphasis added)

Please note that we are continuing to closely monitor all voting. We have and will contact any individual(s) who we suspect are undermining the integrity of the Soup Challenge™, essentially compromising the fun of the contest. We will prohibit any individual from participating in the contest or winning a prize if, in (our) sole discretion, (we) determine that said individual has attempts “to undermine the legitimate operation of the contest by cheating, jacking, deception, or other unfair practices”, violated the Official Rules or has acted “in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner at any time during the Contest, with the intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any other person”.

Many thanks for your continued enthusiasm for a good old fashioned, fun cook off. We are so impressed with all your good work! We look forward to a great (and fair) finish and spirited regional competitions between the five finalists in the Northeast, Southeast and Midwest.

Then, once we finish all the arrangements for the three winner’s fabulous foodie weekends on Martha’s Vineyard, we wait for the stories, anxious to share in their wonderful adventure!

Happy Thanksgiving from New England Country Soup!

It is the eve of Thanksgiving, do you know where your turkey is? More importantly, do you know where it will end up?

If you are the traditional school, in about 24 hours, you will pull your turkey out of the fridge, dress it up with herbs, spices, and butter, and lay it in a hot oven to roast with onions and potatoes.

If you are of the less traditional school (as, it turns out, are two of our NECS team members), you might be pulling out your charcoal grill or smoker, soaking wood chips in apple cider, and getting ready to smoke your bird to Thanksgiving Day perfection.

Jess, our newest team member, did a practice round a couple weeks ago – just to ensure she got her bird right for the big day. 

Either way, nobody eats the whole turkey the day of Thanksgiving, and according to a Butterball Turkey Survey (knowing that such a thing exists makes me proud to be an American), 52% of those lucky enough to have turkey leftovers use it to make soup – and why not? The possibilities are endless!

All soups start with a good stock. Check out this recipe from our friends at Food52 – a standard in Pete’s household. Feel free to deviate – good stock is made from leftovers, so what better day to make it than the Friday after Thanksgiving.

To the stock, add some of your favorite leftovers (maybe leave out the pumpkin pie and cranberry sauce), and some pasta. Turkey-noodle soup is born.

If you are feel like you need a bit more direction, check out one of the nearly 20 recipes we have gotten already for this year’s  Soup Challenge™, or one of the recipes from the outstanding library of Soup Challenges past! 

Soup Challenge III!

The idea seemed crazy when it was first proposed: an “off the shelf” soup versus the “best of homemade”.

Really? Why would we have our brand pick a fight most would think we couldn’t win? Marketing suicide?

Well, that was then … this is now and we are two years into our Soup Challenge. The results after the first 2 years? New England Country Soup wins 2 out of every 3 competitions against the best of homemade!

The key: we more than hold our own on taste and win big on nutrition. Yup, it is true: making a great tasting healthy soup is hard … just ask our 25 finalists from the first 2 years of competition. But, to quote from one of our favorite movies, A League of Their Own: “If it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it. The hard … is what makes it great!”

OK, “homemade souper stars” – it is time to compete! This year’s Soup Challenge: yours versus ours starts up at 12:01 on November 1st!

This year’s competition will be essentially the same as last year’s:
• your best homemade versus New England Country Soup,
• three regions (Northeast, Southeast, Midwest),
• the three top vote getters in each region make it to the regional finals along with two other entrants whose recipes will be selected based on creativity,
• competition is based on taste and nutrition,
• the winner from each region gets an all expenses paid “fabulous foodie weekend getaway” to Martha’s Vineyard!

Check out our posts for more on last year’s winners and the GREAT time all of our finalists had at our the Regional Finals – in the Northeast, we were at Le Cordon Bleu in Cambridge, in the Southeast, The Art Institute of Atlanta and in the Midwest, Illinois Community College’s Food Technology Center. Great venues … good fun … tough competition! And, of course, the outstanding time the finalists had on Martha’s Vineyard.

This year we have added five more states to the competition as more stores continue to add New England Country Soup to their shelves and more folks come to enjoy our great tasting soup! Plus, we are expanding our efforts to get the word out with more aggressive use of Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and bloggers, announcements on cooking contest sites and extensive media outreach. We will, as well, be making even more use of the photography you submit with each recipe though a photo or photos are not required … we sure encourage you to factor that into your recipe planning (we do, after all, “… eat with our eyes!”).

Remember: you, your family, your friends and all the ‘new best friends’ you are able to attract to your recipe can vote daily for your recipe. So the earlier you get your recipe in, the more days you will have to collect votes!
Good luck … have fun … and may the best tasting and most nutritious soup win!